Saturday, November 20, 2010

Winter wonderlands should involve bikinies and sun warmed beaches

Thanks for the guest post by Eugene Fulton

I've lived in New England my whole life, so excuse my contempt for the hideous form of precipitation also know as snow. It is pretty; up to the point when I have to drive in or shovel the stuff. Winter is not something you can just blow off up here. Roofs tend to have a steep pitch to them, you still want a roof rake to help remove it.

It isn't just the snow and ice that is a concern. Heating oil is my major winter expense, so putting plastic on the windows is just practical. Same thing with the commercial draft guards, though a rolled up towel works just as well. They might look bad, but I'll take goofy and warm over stylish and drafty.

After the past few winters, I went and got a wood stove installed. There is something comforting about a nice fire on a cold winter night. I also enjoy the piece of mind that being able to have heat that is not dependent on electric power. Same reason I keep a generator in the shed. Every few years we get an ice storm that knocks power out for days. Actually, I'm heading out to turn over the generator then I'm gonna be sitting down in front of my nice big satellite TV from tvbydirect.com. Bring on the cold and snow!

0 comments:

Swidget 1.0