Thursday, August 12, 2010

Cabin maintenance

Guest post written by Chris Johnson

Having a secluded cabin out in the woods – well, in the suburbs away from developments – definitely has its advantages. I love how quiet it is out here and I don’t have to worry about neighbors’ dogs messing in my yard. But then there’s the wildlife and deer that sometimes eat my flowers and the damage that all the surrounding trees and vegetation do to my house.

There had been a few close calls during thunderstorms. A tree that’s about 50 feet behind my house was even struck by lightning. But then a few weeks ago there was an exceptionally violent thunderstorm that caused some branches to fall on my roof and fly into one of my bedroom windows. Luckily, it was a small window and I was in my living room at the time so I didn’t get hurt. But my bedroom was wet and that window was broken.

Right after it happened I taped a tarp over it and called Sears Home Improvement Charlotte, who came out to my cabin and replaced the window soon after that. The service people did a great job and were careful with the cabin’s structure.

I hope I won’t have to deal with as many severe storms once the weather cools down, but I’m considering clearing some tree from around my house just in case.

0 comments:

Swidget 1.0